ĺ─˙Woolaroc IIIĺ─¨
Franks Phillips' Boeing 247, Woolaroc III, at Oklahoma City Municipal Airport in 1937

By Mike Boss
Acrylic on Panel
20" x 30"

From the Collection of Nelson Pratt, Wichita, Kansas

Frank Phillips' Woolaroc III was originally constructed for Germany's airline Deutsche Lufthansa but was delivered to Phillips Petroleum Company in 1935. Furnished with a plush, executive interior, it served as Phillips' corporate aircraft until 1940 when the plane went to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 7635.

After the end of World War II, the Boeing 247D found its way back to America as NC41819 in service for Empire Airlines and was retired in 1948.

The name Woolaroc is a derivation of the words - woods, lakes and rock. Painted on the engine cowlings were the Osage Indian words Wah-Shah-She-(Osage)Hluah-Ke-He-Kah (Eagle Chief.) Because of his fair dealings and caring about their welfare, Phillips was the first white man to attain this Osage Honor.

The sleek Woolaroc III is augmented by a 1932 Lincoln Phaeton.